Tuesday, September 16

After the storm...

We've had an exciting weekend and now things have somewhat calmed down. Our crazy effects from hurricane Ike have put some things into perspective for me.

We had finally purchased a stove, after shopping around for a day or two. Took our business to a smaller appliance store here in town, b/c we heard they have great service. They price matched also, so we wanted to give them the business, rather than to the monster chain stores.
However, when I heard it would still be another 4-5 days before they delivered our stove, I had a meltdown. I reconsidered taking our business to a chain that could deliver when I wanted it. Total wake-up call of how much I am a part of the "me" society that we're plagued by. At least I could say I was trying to look out for the good of my family and our eating habits. But I still wanted the stove when I wanted it.

Then Sunday came and the storm rolled in. We've never had a storm like that...75 mph winds...no rain...just crazy winds. We woke up from our naps that afternoon to part of our maple tree down in the backyard. The power went out right when I woke up and we spent a lot of time outside wondering how long the winds could keep blowing. Enjoyed dinner out with our friends and realized that even if I had my stove when I wanted it, it would be in vain at this point. Sources were telling us the power would be out for up to 7 days.

Went to the store to get "D" batteries for our flashlights...along with everyone else in town. There were NONE on the shelves. I even knew the hidden spots for batteries in the store...they were cleaned out. I spotted a set on a random shelf and snatched them so fast...I thought I needed to run in case someone mugged me for the batteries. It was a pretty crazy place.

Came home and part of our tree out front had fallen on the house. Thankfully extremely minor damage, but we have to sacrifice our shade-bearing tree. So sad about that. Our friends with a small t.v. told us there was no school on Monday. We've never had school cancel for power outages! Brent woke up early Monday to beat the rush and buy a generator. Monster chain stores had none...we had already sent them south for the hurricane recovery. There were 2 for rent. Brent got one and we split it with the neighbors. Powered up the basics... fridge, freezers, T.V. & of course, the Wii. Just the basics, ma'am, just the basics.

Friend came over to cut down the small part of tree that landed on the front of our house. He'll come back to help take out the rest later.
Boys played & played & played with neighbor buddies.
I had a dr. appt. and they still had power! We'll find out whether the baby has indoor or outdoor plumbing in 3 weeks!! Can't wait.
Power came back on 24 hours after it went out. We are so thankful, but kept praying for many around us that still didn't/don't have power.
School cancelled again today. Tomorrow everyone goes back.

Boy, I realized my reasons for meltdown don't pale in comparison to what some people are experiencing down south. We had the tiniest glimpse of what life is like with no power. Add flooding, scarce food & nowhere to call home to that. Wow. We'll keep praying for them for sure. They have a real reason for meltdowns...hopefully they're all stronger than me in the face of those circumstances though!

No comments: