Thursday, September 4

What would you do?

We came home from soccer practice tonight to indulge in a meal that I had prepared earlier today. I left it in the oven on 200 to finish cooking and joked that I'd probably burn the house down. When we all returned with rumbling bellies, I opened the oven and felt no heat. The heating element/coil/not-sure-what-you-call it had burned out. I felt the dish and it was still hot, but noticed a type of film all over the oven. It sort of looked like there was a fire in the oven. I also noticed the clock was not working any longer...either the oven was completely dead or the breaker was tripped.

I called our knowledgeable neighbors to see what was most likely going on. She confirmed that the coil had burned out and that usually trips the breaker. She also said we shouldn't eat our meal, because of the possible contamination by fumes.

Normally, I invite any excuse to go eat out. However, I was craving this roast & it was too close to bedtime to think about going out. I also don't have a whole lot for back up in the house...that sounds appealing to this pregnant lady anyhow! So I didn't like the idea of throwing out a delicious (and expensive) roast. We considered that the lid was on and seemed to have protected the food. There was a film on the outside of the dish and it's lid, yet none on the inside rim of the dish.

Why is this such a tough decision for me this time around? I've done it before, but usually because I botched it up or burned it.

What would you do...would you risk it or chuck it out?


(We did end up loading up in the van and heading to the boys' absolute favorite place...Mickey D's. But I'll save the food, until I know for sure whether I'll be poisoning my family!)

2 comments:

Ja Yung said...

Congratulations on your pregnancy! How exciting!!!

That is definitely a tough dilemma... I feel your pains- but I'd toss it and make another roast.

So were you able to get your oven fixed?

Anonymous said...

better safe then sorry, right? doesn't that sound like something your mom would say???