Saturday, March 29

He's a Keeper.

Lately I've become kind of sneaky around the boys, but I'm feeling a twinge of guilt for it. They both love to craft, play play-doh, use stickers...all that stuff.
But more-so, Braden LOVES to draw. He draws, cuts and creates all sorts of pictures. He likes to hang them in different places, hide them in his bed or in his toys...wherever. (He's always been one to keep even the smallest "precious" toy in the most secure place.) He's definitely a "keeper."
However, there's a point when I finally get tired of them lying around or looking at them on the walls/mirrors. We started asking him to pick out a few of them to keep and we'd have to throw some away. He knows that we just can't keep EVERYTHING! But asking him to part with them didn't work so well. He didn't want to get rid of any of them, regardless of whether he remembered them!
So the sneakiness sets in...
I have to "discard" them as best I can without him knowing. I try to keep the ones that seem important, but once in a while he's found the others in the trash. I can't lie, but I do try to act surprised to see them in the trash, so I don't hurt his feelings. Thankfully, he's not good at using the recycle bin yet. :-)
We want to foster his love for creating, but I'm tired of finding the remains everywhere...and I'm tired of feeling guilty for throwing away his "precious" work. I don't mind getting rid of things. (We're starting to do that with toys too, as they take over so rapidly!!!) But I could use a little help in figuring out the best way to do it, with the least opposition! Anyone been there and have some suggestions?

1 comment:

Krysty said...

A couple people shared ideas with me, but weren't able to leave a comment for some reason. Don't know what's up with that...

My SIL said to take pictures of the artwork and save it digitally, rather than saving it on my floor!

Jenny also mentioned that she'd heard about using the artwork on greeting cards/wrapping paper/tissue paper, etc. That sounds like fun, as our favorite cards we've received have been artwork by my nieces.
Thanks for the ideas...keep sharing them...via email if the comments aren't working.